Thursday, May 15, 2008

More Updates..

Be warned: Long Post Ahead.

Here I am, sitting comfortably typing away with Maroon 5 in the background.

Earlier, I was scared out of my wits, actually. I went to the mall (Fashion Island) around 12ish..to have my lunch, shop for some stuffs, and later caught "What Happens In Vegas" (hilarious, witty, feel-good movie;go watch it!!) Anyway, I got into a taxi, fished out the note which my aunt wrote in Thai (address) and passed it to the taxi driver.

Anyhow, it was dark when I left the mall and about 20 minutes later, he wasn't sure he had got the place right. There were no streetlamps except for the meagre light the roadside stalls provided. Many sharp & abrupt turns later, he stopped the cab. It was so dark but I thought I got the right house (white fence) and quickly got off.

I squinted hard and realised I was in the neighbourhood.. its just that I have got the wrong house. That wasn't quite so bad, right? I mean, at least I was in the neightbourhood.. I jus had to get the unit right. WRONG. Well, this BIG dog started coming at me menacingly, but slowly(thank god) & growled. That was certainly not a friendly gesture. I retreated slowly.. and I realised the subdued and serene dogs that roamed freely in the day minding their own business have transformed to growling & howling beasts when night falls.

In the dark, It seemed like I was in a bad dream and I swear I could feel my heart thumping so hard it hurts. I didn't know what else to do but thank god for this lady out for a smoke. I stood beside her hoping she could sense i needed some help for I was speechless. She shoo-ed them away while saying something in thai. Next thing i knew, my aunt appeared, armed with a tennis racquet no less. I was so so relieved. She then proceeded to tell me that these dogs are hostile at night and that they were unfamiliar with me..
I have dogs of my own.. and like wolves, they hunt and move in packs.

I could have been mauled. GULP.

I wonder why they are such monsters at night. Isit cos they were hungry?..I had thought of getting some kibbles for them days before but decided against it.. What if they started a food fight? Like the big ones attack the small ones when theirs run out? Shudders. Its a dog eat dog world out there afterall.

Digressing, one interesting incident while at the movies.

You know how you have commercials & previews before the movie starts? I was sipping my Pepsi & then there was this couple on my right who suddenly stood up. And then it all makes sense when the images of the Thai King came on, complete with a regal sounding music, believed to be the Thai national anthem. I quickly turned around and saw that people at the back were doing the same.

They say, when in Rome, do as the Romans do. Logically, I should have done the same. But no, my butt sat glued to the seat and I silently wished that i could be invisible for that moment.
I totally understand and have great respect for their King, but my knowledge of him is that he is greatly respected, religious and that he loves dogs?

I am always intrigued by individuals who are greatly respected by others.
For respect has to be earned.
Did he automaticaly command the respect of his people simply by being King?
Or did he do something phenomenal to improve the lives of those in need?

This, I'm gonna ask my aunt tomorrow.

Digressing further... for those heading to BKK for a holiday anytime soon, beware of taxi drivers!!! (Kelly, take note!) Yesterday, I had one who took me on a long long tour, it was like a 2 hr ride when it could have been 45!

They would nod their head & say they know where they are going & yet end up at god-knows where! I had to keep calling my aunt & make him speak to her.

Ladies, if you are traveling alone in cities like these, you could bring:

1) Red Lippie ( to scrawl SOS or HELP on the windows if need be..)
2) Perfume with spray (obviously at the eyes or something so pungent it could make him gag)
3) Torchlight with alarm (Evelyn gave this to me; u pull the string & when it detaches makes a very loud sound & its continuous.. I don't know where to get this though)
4) Elbows when directed give strong blows

And DO NOT walk so near the pavement where the vehicles are whizzing by.. you run the risk of having your bag snatched OR bundled up in vans where syndicates operate on making the victims beg, & without an arm or leg too. This is told to me by my aunt. My little cousin of 8 yrs knows never to buy food at roadside stalls near her school, no matter how hungry.. cos the villians who run these syndicates target young children too, girls especially.

I hope these idiots burn in hell.

So.. Life is precious people! Travel if you must but travel smart!

Excuse me but I need to make myself camomile tea to calm my frazzled nerves now. 5 more days before I leave rainy Bangkok for sunny Singapore.

See ya. :)




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

free hit counter html


Simple, Starving to Be Safe - Daphne Loves Derby